Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
In July 2020, the MSF Belgium (OCB) board agreed to the establishment of a joint associative-executive working group on racism, to better understand the problem and to develop a roadmap for change. The board also agreed on the need for external support to assist the associative and executive in carrying out this work.
In parallel to these initiatives, a Diversity and Anti-Racism Advisory group (DAR) was established. This is a group of MSF staff that help to identify issues and act as a sounding board on implementing the roadmap to tackle institutional racism. This group is an addition to the GAREC (Group for Advice and Research into Ethics and Conduct) that deals with more blatant behavioural issues at an individual level.
The Diversity and Anti-Racism Advisory Coordinator will be directly managed by the General Direction. The position does entail some management responsibilities.
- In consultation with stakeholders define the broadlines of a Diversity and Anti-Racism vision; In collaboration with senior executive management and the board complete the articulation of the DAR strategy for OCB
- Facilitate the articulation of a vision on Diversity and Anti-Racism for OCB, in line with the agreed upon framework
- Develop clear DAR definitions for OCB.
- Supports the Analysis Department in reflecting on what anti-racism means for the humanitarian sector and MSF’s medical humanitarianism.
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of DAR initiatives and goals with relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate/conduct needed baseline studies on diversity and racism, in collaboration with the necessary departments.
Identify the right project management tool to ensure the follow-up of the DAR workplan and activities.
- Compile the necessary information from the different departments and field to support in the implementation of the roadmap developed by the external support.
- Act as a sparring partner for departments on how to improve/align their activities and processes to the DAR ambitions and objectives.
- Lead the development of new processes, policies, systems, tools, spaces, etc. when needed to help advance the DAR agenda.**Facilitate discussions, meetings and spaces for reflection**
- Chair and organize the meetings of the Advisory Group, both Core and extended group
- Facilitate spaces of discussion debate and reflection within OCB for constructive engagement in the anti-racism transformation process.
Design, develop and adapt training (face-to-face and online) and other prevention tools
- Design and develop new training/workshops/debates according to IPOB priorities and field needs (BLM, discrimination, abuse of power, psychological harassment) and make sure to avoid duplication with other initiatives at OCB or in other sections.
- Ensure the relevance of the training deployment strategy and adapt it where necessary
- Organise the review of the above-mentioned training content and methodologies based on lessons learned from experience;
- Ensure the availability of the above-mentioned training according to field needs (translation, editing, etc.);
- Develop OCB’s expertise on Diversity and Anti-Racism issues in collaboration with GAREC.
- Work to involve other actors and other departments in the delivery of transversal training on Diversity and Anti-Racism.
- Keep track of processes of subgroups of advisory group
- Be linked to other initiatives in the movement on Anti- Racism and Diversity Equity and Inclusion
- Act as the focal point for the different initiatives to advance improved Diversity and Anti-Racism in both OCB HQ and field operations.
- Liaise within OCB, the broader movement, and external parties to ensure continuity in initiatives, optimization of MSF resources, and sharing and adaptation of best practices.
- Provide strong communication on DAR initiatives and progress both within OCB and the movement.
- Knowledge management and sharing of DAR information and literature on internal platforms
- Centralise processes – join the dots between different initiatives within the OCB group, partner sections and associations
- Progress reporting to the General Direction
- Provide regular updates for OCB staff and association regarding OCB’s work on DAR in different formats, regularly sharing updates and gathering input.
- Keep OCB General Direction and CODIR informed on the advances on the DAR agenda and on potential risks and challenges.
- Stay informed of DAR initiatives, best practices, and conversations happening within the MSF movement, and in other humanitarian or developing organizations and in other sectors, and document/share information that is relevant for OCB.
• University (race theory, gender studies, post-colonial studies, area studies, political science, sociology)
• 2 years of MSF field experience is essential.
• 5 years of experience, in related fields replaces a university degree.
• Community organising experience, particularly in anti-racism or related fields, is highly desirable
• Experience working on Anti-Racism, other forms of discrimination or in widening participation initiatives.
• Knowledge of another language OCB operates in or that the communities which MSF operates with is an asset
• Pedagogy, training, social communication (coaching, mentoring, group facilitation, etc.)
• Community needs assessment, capable of managing discussion groups and conducting workshops
• Project cycle (design, implementation, communication, monitoring, supervision, reporting …)
• Management of a group
• Respect towards colleagues, patients, beneficiaries and partners of MSF
• Respect for Behavioural Commitments and our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
• Diplomatic and active listening
• Expected starting date: 1st of October 2021
• Contract type: Fixed-term contract of 12 months (Renewable), full-time
• Location: based in Brussels MSF HQ with significant field engagement
• Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
• Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
• Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments